Faith, family and a little creativity. Keeping life simple in a complicated world.


Monday, October 14, 2013

Fall Cleaning: Day 1 - The Kitchen

We're on a semi-fall break from school so I thought I'd take the week to get my house in order and do some deep cleaning! I've decided to devote a day to each room and today's lucky room was the kitchen.

This may be an incredibly boring post to some, but I actually enjoy getting things clean and organized. Yep, I'm weird that way.

First on my list was the sink. I really, really try to keep it clean and wiped out according to Fly Lady rules, but it always gets away from me at some point.

This was after cleaning the right side only-



The left side is still gross. I clean it with a paste of baking soda and water. I wipe it dry and go over it with lemon furniture polish. I clean all of my stainless with Pledge. It works really well for me.

All clean!-


Now, no one is allowed to use the sink. Ever. Again. The End.


After the sink, I went down my mental checklist:

-Take the baskets down from the top of the cabinets and dust them
-Wipe down all the appliances
-Take everything off the counter and clean it.
-Clean the cabinets with Murphy's Oil Soap and wipe them down with Liquid Gold

I didn't do before and afters because you really can't tell the difference in the pictures. It feels better knowing things are clean!

I have a galley kitchen so it's hard to take pictures in here, but I tried my best to get different angles.
Here's one side-


and the other-


boths sides sort of, it's impossible to get both sides from this angle!



View from the laundry room-



We've done a lot to this kitchen (on a tiny budget) to make it our own. It was builder grade boring when we bought the house. I even got brave and painted the countertops. You can read about that here.  The only thing I would change if I could, would be the huge refrigerator. See how it sticks out and takes up that precious space?  I would love a counter depth refrigerator that would give me about 8 more inches of floor space. I'm not complaining, I'm very thankful for what I have, but my kitchen is narrow!

I forgot to mention dusting and cleaning my little "cupboard" area as I call it.


We took the doors off of this section of cabinets and the shelves get a little dusty over time. I dusted them and washed my little creamers. These are the dishes that we use everyday, but the creamers rarely get used!

Well, there you have it. My little deep cleaned kitchen. Now it stayed that clean for a whole hour before it was time to make lunch, but that's ok. We live in our home and life is definitely messy!

Next post, I'll tackle my living and dining room!


***Edited to add . . .

Here's my nice clean kitchen 8 hours later. We do a lot of livin' in our house. I'm truly blessed.





3 comments:

Teri said...

Dear Mandy...I have enjoyed browsing your past postings. Your kitchen looks so homey, so clean and tidy. Thank you for sharing. Blessings ♥ Teri

Sugar Bush Primitives said...

I love this post. It is inspiring me to get going on my own house. LOL!

Wendi said...

The only thing I don't like about cleaning is that it never stays that way! :) I have never heard of Pledge on stainless steel. I will have to try that next time I deep clean my kitchen sink.