Faith, family and a little creativity. Keeping life simple in a complicated world.


Monday, August 22, 2011

Another Summer . . .

I found myself recently telling my kids something my parents told me over and over. "The older you get, the faster time seems to go by - don't wish your life away."

I remember a specific night when I was about Leah Kate's age ( 9 or 10). It was a couple of weeks before Christmas and as most kids are, I was anxious for Christmas to arrive. I was telling my dad how I wished that night was Christmas eve - I just couldn't wait any longer! He delivered the line above that has stuck with me all these years. Now that I'm the mom, (of a teenager for goodness sake) I'm passing on this "wisdom" to my kids!

All of that to say, I can't believe another summer is slipping away!  I really try to grab the moment that is right in front of me and hold on to it for all it's worth. Pictures and momentos don't do those moments justice. Planning too much for what's ahead and wishing for what has past causes me to miss the precious moment that is right in front of me.

The end of summmer is always a tiny bit sad. It's the end of the carefree and back to the schedule. Yep, back to routine and order. Honestly, I guess I need the structure that back to school time brings. I'm not a "schedule" person so I am forced - by the fact that my kids need an education - to get my act together this time of year!

Another summer . . . soon to be another fall and so on.  There's nothing like the blessing of living in this very moment. No yesterday, no tomorrow - just beautiful, wonderful, now.

5 comments:

NancyD said...

Hi Mandy. What a beautiful post, so well put. Your dad was right...boy does time ever fly. So glad that you are enjoying it every moment, I think I thought time stood still for too long. Thanks for sharing. :)

Elizabeth and Gary said...

My parents use to tell me the same thing...LOL..I also passed these words of wisdom on to my girls..
Have they listened time will tell.
Have a sweet day, Elizabeth

Firecracker Kid said...

Ironic and surreal isn't it, and my grown ups told me this too, and I told my kids. Life is a cycle:-)
xoxo~Carol

Cow Pies & Mud Pies said...

Hi Mandy.
Time is FLYING by and I can't believe how much faster it goes with each year!

I would like to talk to you about an Etsy purchase...can you email me at ld underscore mow at yahoo dot com???
thanks

April said...

This summer went very very fast. Too fast!