Faith, family and a little creativity. Keeping life simple in a complicated world.


Wednesday, June 1, 2011

A Cloche Lesson

Wow, due to our homeschool drama group's performance of Alice in Wonderland, finishing up our school year and spending Memorial Day weekend with family, I've not had any computer time!

Most of you probably knew this, but I just found out what cloches were originally for! The french used them to protect young garden plants from frost. The word cloche means bell, which explains the shape! Who knew? (everyone but me, I'm guessing!)

I'm glad they found their way from the garden into our homes - they are so versatile. The possibilities are endless for displays!

I found this set of vintage etched beauties on a treasure hunt over the weekend-




Aren't they the sweetest things? Yes, I'm loving cloches at the moment!

These little pretties are up for grabs in my shop if anyone is interested. I was really tempted to keep them for myself, but of course I'm tempted to keep EVERYTHING I find. I only put things in my shop that I truly love!

There ya go - Cloche 101!!!

9 comments:

Wendi said...

Beautiful! If I had a place for them I would first in line for them.

❀ⒹⒺⒺ❀ said...

Those are very pretty cloches.

I have many already and just told another blogger today she needed one for her birds nest. If only yours was wider.
Well good luck selling them. I'm sure they will go fast.

Dee

Amy Kinser said...

Well, you just taught me something new. Thanks!

Karen/My Colonial Home said...

Hi Mandy,
Goodness I never knew what one was either...but yours are just gorgeous!

If I did see them before I guess I thought they fit on something to 'hold' something, not to be turned upside down. LOL

Thanks for sharing.

Karen

Firecracker Kid said...

Hi Mandy:) Well, I didn't know of cloches either. I guess that's the American in me:) Thanks for the knowledge!
xoxo~Carol

blessedmom's simple home said...

So pretty! They look like they could be hurricane lamps if you turned them over too :-) I love the etching.
Blessings,
Marcia

Richard said...

My blog Amish Stories is having its first ever contest this week. The First prize winner will win 2 tickets to tour the farm where the 1985 move "Witness" staring Harrison Ford and Kelly Mcgillis was made in Strasburg,Pa . This farm is now Amish owned, and the family has given permission for folks to tour their farm. This may be the last time anyone will be able to walk and see the same things that Harrison Ford and the other actors saw during the making of "Witness". The Witness tour should last about 2.5 hours. In addition to the Witness farm tour tickets, 1st prize winner will also receive 2 tickets for Jacobs choice. There will also be a 2nd place prize, which will be 2 tickets for the Amish Homestead. Please go to My blog www.AmishStorys.com for contest details, and more information on the prizes. Richard from the Amish settlement of Lebanon county.

Jenni said...

Hi Mandy~

Those are beautiful! I have never seen etched cloches before, and love the look! And guess what? I didn't know their original purpose either! So it was news to me, too! :)

I hope that your summer is off to a great start! I also hope you have a wonderful Friday and weekend! :)

Blessings to you~
Jenni

Southern Belle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.