Faith, family and a little creativity. Keeping life simple in a complicated world.


Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Handwashing Dishes - An Unlikely Simple Pleasure

I know what you're thinking . . . handwashing dishes is not what usually comes to mind when talking about simple pleasures. I'm not sure what it was this afternoon that inspired this post. I guess it was a combination of blessings that made me suddenly overwhelmingly thankful.

There was a cool breeze blowing through my open window while I was standing there waiting to tackle lunch dishes. My sink was full of warm soapy water that smelled wonderful thanks to my Dawn honeysuckle and rain scented dish soap. My kiddos were done with their school work and I could hear them down the hall playing together.


I was happy to be using a dish cloth that I knitted myself. I was thankful to be cleaning my favorite white dishes. I was thankful for the food that had just been on those dishes


I saw things that I usually take for granted in a new light today. A mundane chore became a moment of thanksgiving.

I'll have my eyes open now for more unlikely simple pleasures. They're always there, but sometmes I don't take the time to really see them.

And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.
Colossians 3:17






11 comments:

BECKY said...

I LOVE this, Mandy! It happens to me all of the time and it just thrills my soul each time! We are surrounded by blessings constantly, and always have what we need. It just doesn't get any better, does it!
Praise God from Whom all blessings flow!!!

Have a happee Thursday!
Love ya,
Becky

hann said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Wendi said...

It really is the simple things that bring the most joy!

Amber said...

I agree with you! I've felt the same way at times!

Angela said...

Love this post. I have a dishwasher but with just Mr.P. and myself hardly ever use it. BUT have never thought of doing the dishes the way you did. That is so true. We do have so much to be thankful for. Sometime we find blessings in such simple things. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Washing dishes will never be the same for me.

Kindra-At Home With K said...

Enjoy the simple blessings in life. Love your post and scripture you shared. :)

Tiff said...

God bless you, you are a sweetie to remind us to appreciate how lucky we are... you are so right about enjoying the simple things in our lives... I am pledging to do my chores with a smile today, and to be thankful I have a home, family and family who helps me do them! Thanks for sharing your positive energy! X

Paula said...

This was wonderful, Mandy... we can ALWAYS find things to be thankful for, can't we?
((HUGS))

My Wonderfully Made said...

Mandy, in 27 years of marriage, we've only lived in one place that had a dishwasher and we only lived there about a year! My dear hubby and I do dishes EVERY night together (unless our college kids are home and we give it to them!) but honestly, it is a great time for us to just chat and laugh.

Jenni said...

I know just what you mean! I often truly enjoy washing dishes, and cleaning my kitchen. I am using a new dish soap now that makes it even more fun!

I think you have it right on. God's blessings are all around us, even down to the food on our plates, just like you said. :) By the way, I love that verse!

Blessings,
Jenni

blessedmom's simple home said...

I have memories of my mom singing "Count Your Many Blessings" while washing dishes.

I don't hand wash often...well, except for that 7 week period when our new dishwasher quit working and the company wanted the store to replace it and the store wanted the company to replace it. My kids all learned how to wash by hand though :-) Anyway, every time I do hand wash, I think of this song. Your post is wonderful!!
Blessings,
Marcia