Faith, family and a little creativity. Keeping life simple in a complicated world.


Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Candlestick Topiary

Before I get started, I have to tell you that everyone in my house made fun of this - they gave it all kinds of crazy names while I was making it! Oh well, I'm always trying out something around here - glad I can supply  my family with some laughs!



Now, if you still want to know how to make one of these, let's get to it!

Supplies:

-styrofoam ball
-spanish moss
-wooden candlestick (or whatever you choose to use for a base)
-hot glue gun
-buttons

I've had this wooden candlestick in my craft closet for a while now. I picked it up on one of my Goodwill trips. It's a short, squatty candlestick. I painted  it white after I brought it home, but never used it for anything-




To secure the styrofoam ball to the candlestick, I put some hot glue on one end of a dowel and stuck it into the ball. I ran a bead of hot glue around the rim of the candlestick, put another big dab of hot glue on the  inside bottom and stuck the other end of the dowel in the big dab of glue. I pressed down for a few seconds and it was good and secure.

This is when the poor little guy was made fun of! He does look like some kind of muppet at this point! My 9 year old thought I was making a wig!

Just hot glue the moss all over until the ball is completely covered.


Give your "wig" a good haircut to shape it up when you're done.

I wanted a nice neutral color scheme, so I picked different shades of white vintage buttons from my button stash and hot glued them on randomly. I add a jute bow to almost everything - can't help it!




Simple and pretty!

I'm linking to a few of these great parties!

19 comments:

Kristen @ ladybug-blessings.com said...

i think it turned out really really pretty!!

Just The Details...of Jenn said...

I think it is adorable!! Ugh..I get made fun of too for some of the things I do...and then at the end result..see my envision? It's not so bad is it? It all comes together! So cute! Congrats!

Sommer said...

That is actually a genious idea for a mantle or table top topiary! I love it!

Kindra-At Home With K said...

I think it's fab! A wonderful topiary to add to your spring decor! Thanks so much for linking up to Terrific Under Ten!

cynthialeedesigns said...

I think it is wonderful!! I think that I might have everything on hand to make one of these...it would look great on the mantel of our new fireplace.
~Cindy~

Tiff said...

I think this is beautiful! I especially adore the buttons! X

Custom Comforts said...

I think it's lovely and has given me an idea. I have a base container nearly like that and was trying to figure out what to do with it. I think I'll cover it with moss and put some paper butterflies on it. Thanks for sharing your idea!
Cindy

Susan @ homeroad.net said...

I think it's adorable, I'm going to make it myself! And if it makes you feel any better, everyone in my house makes fun of me too. They abuse me to no end over the labels and numbers on everything. :)
Susan

Creative Ambitions said...

Very cute!

Donna~One Simple Country Girl said...

Love it!

Southern Belle said...

Ah, that's to cute! Love the buttons.

Empty Nest Full Life said...

Very cute! I am so ready to get crafting over here. Must finish kitchen first, then comes some crafting fun. Jackie

Christina said...

aw I think it's super cute! I also think it's funny that your family is amused by it...sounds like something my husband would do!

Thanks so much for linking to "20 Below Thursday"! :)

Paula said...

That is adorable, Mandy!

Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia said...

You have the best ideas! I love this!!
Happy weekend :)
XO

Colleen/And Baby Makes Five said...

I think it's darling ... simple and sweet. Thanks for sharing.

Brandi said...

So adorable Mandy! You are very creative!

BECKY said...

Sooo lovely!! Love it!!
HUGS,
Becky

Dee said...

So cute and creative.

Dee