Faith, family and a little creativity. Keeping life simple in a complicated world.


Thursday, February 3, 2011

Photo Coaster Tutorial

Before I begin, this is a (re)post of  a tutorial I did a couple of years ago on my other blog. I'm going to slowly but surely bring my favorite posts over here. This is one of my all time favorite crafts!




Since many of you wanted to know how to make these, I thought I'd do a tutorial. First of all I want to explain that there are several different techniques for making these. One way is to print out the pictures on photo paper and simply glue them to the tile and seal them to make them water proof. That's fine, but I like the look of this method much better. We aren't simply gluing pictures on, we're making the picture actually become part of the tile, so the transparent photos will take on the texture of the tile. Let's get started!


Supplies:

-Tumbled marble tiles

-Mod Podge

-Foam Brush

-Printed photo

-Sheet of cardstock

-Spray on sealer

-Craft glue

-Cork square


Crop your photo to the desired size on your computer. These tiles are 4x4, so crop accordingly. You are going to print your photo onto tissue paper. Tape the edges of tissue paper onto the card stock so you can feed it through the printer.




Here is a picture of my customer's sweet little grandson printed out on the tissue paper.



Next, you will spread a very thin layer of Mod Podge over the tile. It's important that you spread a THIN layer because the tissue paper is very delicate and can tear easily if you use too much Mod Podge.




Carefully place the photo on top of your Mod podge covered tile . Starting from the center and working out to the edges,use your fingers to gently press the picture into place. Keep pressing until any wrinkles or air bubbles are gone. After the Mod Podge is dry, brush another coat over the photo. Allow to dry and repeat. You could do a third coat if you want just to make sure it's nice and sealed!




When the final coat of Mod Podge is dry, spray the tile with 3 or 4 coats of sealer. This part is VERY important. Mod Podge alone will not protect your photos from water over a period of time.



Glue the cork square to the back of the tile. Another option is to just stick little round felt feet to the bottom - whichever you prefer!





Here's the finished set for my sweet customer, Janice. Thanks for letting me show off your beautiful family, Janice!


Here are a few pointers:

-Make sure your photo ink is completely dry before you start.

-If you tear the tissue while placing the picture, immediately run it under water and wash off the tissue and Mod Podge - at least you've saved your tile and can reuse it!

-I tear the edges of the photos before I apply them, but that's just because I like the way it looks. You can leave the edges in tact if you prefer.

I love these because you can take your grandmother's old family photos and make special keepsakes out of them. You don't have to use them as coasters - you can display them on an easel or plate stand. You could also do pet photos, nature photos, food photos - anything you can think of!

Have fun with it!


I 'm linking to 20 below at Christina's Adventures

and

Under $100 at Beyond the Picket Fence


14 comments:

Kindra-At Home With K said...

I love it as much as the first time you shared this! I'm saving it on my to-do list!

Mod Podge Amy said...

These are awesome! I love the rough edges and worn look - gives it a lot of personality.

Christina said...

Such a good idea!! I really love this...and it would make a great gift!

Thanks so much for linking up to "20 Below Thursday"!!

Blessedmom's Simple Home said...

This was one of the first posts I saw on your blog, and I loved it then too :-)
Have a wonderful weekend!
Blessings,
Marcia

Amber said...

Great project! Oh, and did I mention that I love your header?

Carrie @ Dittle Dattle said...

This is a great project! I love the all your tips and the torn edges.

Amy Kinser said...

You did great on these and posted a great tutorial. I made one using my wedding napkin from 20 years ago and it turned out wonderfully.

Karen said...

I wondered how you did these...what a creative idea! Love it! Hope you have a nice weekend. Karen

StaceyJeannette said...

I just love those coasters, might have to try that myself!

I left an award for you on my blog, if you want to pick it up. I understand if you don't "do" awards, just wanted you to know about it. :)

Love your blog!

Christina said...

I featured your project today...come grab a "featured" button! :)

Southern Belle said...

I've gotta make some of these! Love the idea.

Mama Duck said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mama Duck said...

Thank you for our class again. I really have been wanting to ask you. How are ya'll doing? Great I hope. I really miss seeing you guys. Love ya!

Old Centennial Farmhouse said...

Oh! I love this idea, how clever are you? I am thinking of a certain little man that would make the cutest little coasters: Levi!

I love your chosen photos, very nice! You wrote a great tutorial.
XOXO
Joni